Sunday, November 25, 2007

Animo Run!

The Animo Run was my 3rd race and and I was really excited about it. Not just because La Salle is my Alma Matter, but also since my brothers and parents would be running with me. All my family will race for the 5K event while me on the other hand will be racing for the 10k event.

All 10k and 5k runners will race at the same time, and the same route. The only difference is that the 10k runners will run the route twice. That sounded strange since that rule doesn't happen that often.

I stayed in front together with my really fast friend Glen (7th placer in this race even if injured) . When the gun sounded, everyone rushed running. Almost everyone was sprinting, except for me. I decided to stick with my goal race pace of 4:50min/km from start to finish. So even if everyone was rushing like bulls at the starting line, I still managed to keep my composure and run the race wisely. Besides, many of those who sprinted at the starting line are 5K racers, and I need to reserve those dear energy for the next half of the race. My strategy in the 3K mark paved as I see some runners began walking and many of which who was able to overtake me slowed down. Slowly, I creep overtaking the other runners. I began to see a fast happy feet runner. He's really tall and fast! As I was looking at my watch regarding my pace, I notice we had the same pace, so I decided to try speeding up a bit to overtake him. At the 2k mark I tried speeding up and I managed to overtake him (but this wasn't the last time I saw Him).

I then manage to see a really young girl (maybe 5 years old) racing with her dad. She really had a very fast pace, perhaps a 5:00 min/km pace. Eventually I was able to overtake them. Then at the 4k mark I saw the woman who won the age category in the recent New Balance race, and was able to overtake her. At the 7K mark, I was able to overtake my mom, who walked the 5k race event.

At the 8K mark I to noticed a fort strider who was also fast, and decided to follow him, or if possible overtake him until the finish line. Then at the 8K mark I was able to overtake him for a bit, but he began to speed up his pace. So he overtook me, and right after that, the tall happy feet runner began overtaking me as well. I decided to just keep with my pace since ill be making a good time anyway. So I lost seconds from the Allan the Fort Strider, and the tall Happy Feet runner, but I got my target time of 48:22. 46 minutes will be my next target time on the next race.

No comments: