Sunday, March 2, 2008

Condura Run

After my first Marathon at Pasig, little did I know that I will embark in the Condura Run 10K race the week after. I had no intentions of running any races weeks after my first marathon since I needed weeks of recovery in order for my muscles to recuperate from the tons of pounding taken from the marathon.
The week after the marathon was suppose to be the 0-week, or the week where there is almost no running. I was consistent with this recovery week not until Sunday when I changed my mind and joined the said race event.
So as recommended this is what I did:

Monday – No Running
Tuesday – No Running
Wednesday – 4K easy
Thursday – 3K easy
Friday – 6K
Saturday – 3K easy

So why did I changed my mind? Well it started when I went to the Fort Striders hangout Saturday because kuya Melvin announced a meeting. The announcement was that there will be different pacers who will be supporting the race coming from our club. There would be a 7min/km, 6min/km, 5min/km, and 4.5min/km pacers. But kuya Melvin needed pacers who have gadgets who can accurately maintain the pace all throughout the race. I was one of those who had one. Kuya Melvin asked me if I could pace the 4.5min/km and since I thought that it would be a privilege to assist as a pacer, I nodded.

4.5min/km thought is a fast pace and I wasn’t so sure if running such speed would cause me problems with my sheen which hasn’t fully healed after the marathon. The night before the race, I texted Glen if he could proxy in pacing since I was still feeling the pain in my sheens. Unfortunately he was still at the province. And so, I texted Joy if he could assist, and it was a relief that he agreed. We agreed to meet the next day at the race as I will lend him my gear for pacing.

I woke up early morning around 4:30AM and I felt I was having colds. I also felt soreness in my throat. But I still managed to get into my running attire (just in case something happens and joy doesn’t show up), and headed towards NBC tent. Surprisingly, when I was jogging toward NBC Tent, the sheen pain vanished. As I arrived, I saw the other pacers already wearing the pace flags on their backs. I was looking for Joy, but he wasn’t in any reach. Kuya Melvin then told me to wear the 4.5min/km pace flag so I did. But then Kuya Melvin asked where my race number is. I never thought that to be a pacer you also need to be registered at the race! So minutes before the race would begin, I fell in line to register to get my number.

As we were lining up at the starting line I stayed beside my co-pacer Jimmy. Then I saw a friend who was before part of our small group. His name is Omar who works at Lawson. I was surprise to find out that they jog after working hours at the Fort. I had been looking for running partners who could run with me in the evening after working hours at the fort if in some cases I can’t run in the morning. Here was a friend who does so, so it was great to get to see him in the race.

The race started on time and I started running at the pace which I was intended to run. The lead pack were of course already far in front since they would always start at a 3:00min/km pace at the start. After 500 meters I saw many other runners of different sort overtaking my pace. So beating 4.5min/km pace is everybody’s goal. My friend Teddy, who’s wearing a Garmin Forerunner gadget decided to join my pace. I was happy he joined me so that we could compare and estimate if we were doing the pace more accurately. Reggie also joined to pace with us. My watch displays the minutes per kilometer while his watch displays the average pace during the duration of the run. It was pretty hard maintaining one single pace since there was a steep fly over which causes fluctuations in the pace. Good thing Teddy’s Garmin tells the average pace. Some of those runners who overtook us early during the race began to slow down and so as we maintained our pace, we were able to overtake them. While going up the bridge I had problems with the pacer flag cause it was about to fall. I was trying to secure it but I wasn’t so sure if holding it at my back would be a good idea during the whole duration of the race. Thanks to Teddy, he took the flag and just held it as we ran beside him. When we were going down the steep bridge we were running faster than the supposed pace but Teddy’s Garmin was telling us we were still averaging at a correct pace. As we reached the turning point we were still averaging the correct pace. At around 7KM Teddy told me that I could go ahead if I wanted to as he brings the flag to the finish line at the correct pace. I was kind of hesitant since it would be a major favor from him. He could have just raced at a faster pace but it was kind of him to hold the flag for me and that he insisted for me to go ahead and try getting a better time. On the other hand, my competitive nature aroused me to add speed on my pace so I did. As I reached the finish line, my official time was 43:57 (thanks to thebullrunner for the race results) and my Suunto registered that the whole stretch was 10.21KM. Teddy and his very accurate Garmin reached the finish line at around 44:55 just 5 seconds faster than the pace we were suppose to run.

I must say that the Condura Race was one organized racing event. They started on time, the race clock can easily be seen. In fact, they patrolled cars with race clocks on top so that other runners could see their time even on the road. Also I was impressed that every kilometer has a marker. Plus the giveaways are really worth it. I particularly liked the shirt and the bag that came with the giveaways which had a juice, milk, canned corned beef, condura pin and sticker. The race event is to support the Reef at Tubbataha and I'm glad I'm one of those who ran and supported it. Oh, it was also cool when the band played the Superman theme when the last runner was approaching the finish line. I'm telling you, he is probably the most famous guy in the race.

After the race, I was surprise that there were no sheen pain after. I had no problems with any of my muscles. Unfortunately my cold and sore throat began to worsen after reaching home. So I’m having fever and I am really sick today. I don’t think the run was the reason that aggravated it. Right doc? It was just unfortunate that I got the flu at the same day the Condura run was held, but fortunate to reap the symptoms after and not before the race.


R.V. said...

I actually improved on my time thanks to you! I usually slack off during the middle part of races, so having you as my "target" (haha!) really helped. (I shaved off around 1.5 mins, which I believe is pretty good). I wanted to thank you guys after the race but I couldn't find you... So I'll do it here, THANKS! Really hope to see you in the next races! :)

Tech Spec said...

Hi R.V., it was my pleasure. :) I hope to see you at other races too. Btw, pop me a link of your blog so I could read your stories as well.

God Bless.

Michelle said...

Hi Taki! Michelle here from csb.. a friend of ali and precious. hope ypu still remember. =) Anyways, my God your running na pala. =) anyways i wasn't able to see you. Hope to see you next year. Thanks for supporting the Condura race.

Tech Spec said...

Hi michelle,

Of course I remember you. How could I forget? Kamusta na? I saw your post sa friendster. Unfortunately its just recently when I discovered your were mentioning about the Condura run I just joined.

R.V. said...

Hi again!

Sorry to bother you but I was just wondering about your Garmin GPS watch. I'm planning on getting a watch with speed/distance readouts. I'm undecided whether I should get a GPS unit or a footpod unit.

How do you find the Garmin?
Is it accurate on hilly routes?
And it is locally available?


btw. My nickname's Don. :)

Tech Spec said...

Hi Don,

About your inquiry, I'm not using a Garmin but a Suunto watch. My friend Ted who was running beside me in the Condura run was the one wearing the Garmin.

Anyway I could compare the two.

The Suunto T3 is compatible with a footpod (or GPS pod), which you need to purchase seperately from the watch. As for my T3 experience, so far it has been quite accurate even on hilly terrains. According to the manual it is accurate to calculate your stride length so its still accurate if you climb hills. And I have tested it to be accurate. The advantage of the footpod is you can run indoor and still be able to calculate your speed if your not outside.

The Garmin on the other hand is also accurate. When me and Ted were running side by side during one long run, the speed we were running registered almost the same. After 20KM our watches registered almost the same distances with a difference of 3 to 10 meters.

So its a matter of preference and how much you are willing to spend.
The advantage of GPS though is you get to plot your course in the computer and its way too cool to see the path you've ran.

If you want a cooler gadget, then you could opt for the Suunto T6 because it is capable of measuring VO2 max so you can technically do an all out pace on 10K races without worrying of hitting the wall.

Don said...

Really? That's cool! I really want the Garmin but I'm a bit discouraged by the size and warranty/service issues (if I need to buy it abroad). It isn't locally available right?

However, another option I might consider is the Nike+ foot pod. I already have a Nano so perhaps that would be a more practical alternative. I'm not so sure about its accuracy though.

Thanks for your time Taki! BTW, I'll give you a link when I have enough time to actually write a blog. :) See you at the races!